[Evergreen] openSUSE 13.1 after 2016-11-01

Felix Miata mrmazda at earthlink.net
Mon Oct 24 03:32:36 CEST 2016

Carlos E.R. composed on 2016-10-24 02:31 (UTC+0200):

> Axel Braun wrote:

>> Carlos E. R. composed:

>>> I'm daunted by the perspectives. Either I buy new 64 bit hardware to
>>> replace my old 32 bit hardware, or jump distro to something else, for
>>> the server.

>> You know that TW has still 32bit support....but thats nothing for the server
>> (IMO)

> I can not put a server that stays 24*7*52(+/-) on TW, and update every
> other day, and break every other month...

> I have been told by a friend that debian does have 32b version. Even an
> 8080 version somewhere.

Debian 8 (aka Jessie), the most recent "release" of Debian (currently at
8.6), supports i586 instructions. Its support goes at least through 2018, and
possibly through 2020. The next Debian "release" (9, aka Stretch aka Testing)
will not have i586 support:
http://news.softpedia.com/news/debian-is-dropping-support-for-older-32-bit-hardware-architectures-in-debian-9-503832.shtml

Not only do both Jessie and Stretch support i686-class 32-bit, but KDE3 users
will find for them a replacement that they may find a little hard to
distinguish from it, TDE. TDE offers virtually painless transition.

OTOH, abandoning YaST2 for (nothing) and Zypper (particularly its package
locking mechanism besides its overall thoughful design) for the various
Apt-based alternatives would likely be, at the least for openSUSE
ship-jumpers, frustrating.

Optional repos for Debian, other than for TDE, I've yet to get a handle on,
but seem so far to be considerably less straight-forward than using
openSUSE's BS.
--

Felix Miata  ***  http://fm.no-ip.com/